In my last post, I discussed the healing recovery power of bone broths for new moms. Bone broths contain beneficial minerals and properties to strengthen the blood and Kidneys according to traditional Chinese Medicine. It’s a delicious food and powerful medicine.
Another beneficial food for new moms is Coconut- especially the fat in coconut.
The coconut products I recommend for new moms include:
- fresh coconut meat
- organic coconut butter
- organic coconut oil
- organic whole fat coconut milk (yes, the whole fat coconut milk!)
- unsweetened organic coconut flakes
Coconut water is great for hydration, but coconut water does not contain the beneficial fat of the coconut which is what we are focusing on for postpartum health.
The fat in coconut contains many healing properties. Nursing moms can benefit from this healthy fat for increasing their energy, stabilizing their blood sugar levels, and boosting their immune system. Breastmilk naturally contains lauric acid and capric acid which have powerful anti-microbial properties to boost the immune system. Coconut fat also contains lauric acid and capric acid, so it can boost the nutritional quality of breastmilk for babies. Many of my patients notice an increase in their milk supply too.
Some wonderful ways to get coconut in the diet include:
- replace the water to cook your morning oatmeal with 1/2 coconut milk.
- use coconut milk to make creamy soups and curries
- spread coconut oil on toast, melt it on cooked vegetables, use it to cook eggs or stir-fry vegetables
- add coconut flakes on your oatmeal, sprinkled on salads, or add it to a homemade trail mix with dried fruit and nuts
- eat a spoon of coconut butter right out of the jar for a really delicious snack
I have to say that this recommendation can cause a little panic in my patients. “Full-fat coconut milk?” they ask, “Have you seen the fat content?” I know that many moms are eager to get to their pre-pregnancy weight, and quick. I get it. I also know that coconut isn’t going to get in the way of that since coconut can boost the metabolism. Nursing moms need healthy sources of dietary fat- and coconut is a perfect option.
My patients love the taste of coconut and they report feeling deeply satisfied and nourished with adding coconut to their diet.
Try it today!
This post is linked to Party Wave Wednesday at HolisticSquid.com!